Monday, December 10, 2007

Complete Cladist -Chapter 1

I'm a bit behind but here are some of my comments for Chapter 1 of 'The Complete Cladist'.

-taxon= a group of organisms given a name. Is there a term for a group of organisms not given a name? :)
-I have to remember that an ancestor is not represented by a node, but by the internodes between branches!
-I've never seen a Venn diagram used to depict relationships before. Interesting!
-something I would like to discuss further with the group would be conditions of homologous characters
-transformation series=a group of homologous characters
-I think their character/character state philosophy is odd
-I'd like to go over the answer to question 1 of the quick quiz on characters. I didn't quite get that.
*note -try to run own dataset without a root just to see what it looks like

No comments: